Manager, Fund Reporting and Oversight
For our affiliate, Portland Investment Counsel Inc.
Valuation of private securities:
- Prepare or review valuation of private securities for reasonableness and overall accuracy, including appropriately documented conclusions.
- Review financial reports provided by issuers of private securities to ensure any/all issues have been addressed in the valuation process.
- Liaise with portfolio management as appropriate for information sharing.
- Oversee tax compliance function for Portland Funds to ensure minimization of tax risk, including reviewing the work done by service providers in determining taxable distributions, investor tax slip production and delivery, and review/preparation of tax returns and related filings.
- Be a resource on taxation matters as it relates to Portland Funds, including education of advisors.
- Preparation of annual HST returns and review of HST rate changes recommended by third party administrator.
Oversight of NAV production:
- Oversee the day-to-day fund accounting function to ensure net asset value calculations are accurate and the third party service provider has what they require from Portland in order to prepare same.
- Monitor and track service quality of third party service provider.
- Review of various oversight packages, daily/monthly NAV calculations and other items as required, resolving issues as required.
Financial statements and audit:
- Oversee the production of financial statements including coordination of deliverables from service provider and review of their work for quality.
- Review fund expenses and work with corporate accounting to resolve any anomalies.
- Develop fund budgets and explain variances.
- Coordination of the annual fund audits.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, annual management and performance reporting for internal and external parties.
- Liaise with other departments to ensure reporting needs are met.
- Achievement Orientation – Sets and works to meet challenging goals
- Analytical Thinking - Makes multiple causal links: ie. between several potential causes of events and several consequences of actions
- Business Acumen - Understands the internal and external environment
- Commitment to Continuous Learning - Takes the initiative to identify and act upon personal skill areas to be developed
- Conceptual Thinking - Clarifies complex data or situations
- Concern for Order - Monitors progress of a project against deadlines
- Expertise - Demonstrates depth of knowledge
- Information Seeking - Conducts in-depth investigation from unusual sources
- Integrity - Acts consistent with values and beliefs
- Chartered Professional Accounting designation required
- CFA or Chartered Business Valuator designation would be an asset
- Experience with private equity funds and valuation of private securities is required.
- Experience in the taxation of trusts, limited partnerships and corporations in Canada is desired.
- Experience preparing or reviewing financial statements prepared in accordance with IFRS is desired.
- 5 years or more in the financial service industry desired, preferable asset management.
We thank all applicants in advance, however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
We respect the dignity and independence of persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If contacted for an interview, please inform us should any accommodation be required.
Qualified applicants should email resumes along with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all applicants in advance, however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.